Carlos Quentin?

Just Regular

In addition to now having Kemp at 5/75, the Padres have Maybin two more years, and extended Seth Smith after his great 2014.

Also rostered with the Nelson Cruz lucky contract of 1/$8M is Carlos Quentin. Would think he's another name in the Gomes/Morse RH bat-first mix.

Matusz has the San Diego local ties.

Could be. The glass half full take would be he ran 2.5 or more BRef oWAR every year from 2010-2013 even managing only about 400 PA per season. In the NL, he's never made it past 86 games, but managed to stay on the field for 100 every year in the AL.

Right-handed power and probably the player whose PT projection is most impacted by the Kemp trade. And like Cruz, his 20ish HR typical year conceals the raw power you might get if he could ever stay on the field regularly (162 game average of 30 HR).

Never DH'd regularly even with the White Sox, so I wonder if that role regularly could help keep the bat in the lineup.

I think the previous responses to this thread question were too quick to dismiss the idea. Yes, he had a horrendous season last year.

But over the course of the 6 prior seasons (2008-13), he put up an overall line of .260/.356/.503/.860 --- which comes out to a 129 OPS+ and 131 wRC+. In both 2012 and 2013, his numbers were actually even better than that overall average (146 OPS+/146 wRC+ and 145 OPS+/144wRC+). He's always struggled with health, but he was a bona fide slugger right up until last season.

Were he to return to the sort of form he showed from 2008-13, his performance would be remarkably similar to Nelson's 2014. A bit lighter on the power, a good bit more OBP. He's an extreme fly-ball hitter, which drives the BA down, but which would also translate very nicely to OPACY. In this ballpark, he's potentially a 30 HR bat with decent health. He also hits LHPs and RHPs equally well, so there would be no need to try to platoon him (as opposed to guys like Delmon or especially Gomes who are just average or worse hitters against RHPs).

The injury-plagued (and very poor) 2014 season is a huge red flag, but that could work in our advantage in making him attainable as something close to a salary dump. The acquisition of Kemp will also drive his trade value down, as they don't really have a spot for him in their OF and because one wonders how well those two could co-exist on the same team.

If the O's were to deal for him and take on that 2014 salary, they'd have to have some reassurances about his current health. But he's actually younger than all of Morse/Gomes/Cruz, and we did an excellent job of keeping Nelson healthy last season --- an even more extreme version of the DH-heavy assignment with only extremely rare appearances in the field might help to keep Quentin intact.

Given the upside (an unquestionably excellent stick to fill a major hole in the lineup) and the very limited commitment (in terms of years, money, and trade value), I think betting on the potential of a bounce-back season would be a fine gamble.

Just read up on a list of his injuries. Doubt he would make it past the Os medical gauntlet.

He may have a NTC.

San Diego is his hometown.

He is the guy who charged Greinke and broke his collarbone.

Other than that it's a slam dunk.

I think the previous responses to this thread question were too quick to dismiss the idea. Yes, he had a horrendous season last year.

But over the course of the 6 prior seasons (2008-13), he put up an overall line of .260/.356/.503/.860 --- which comes out to a 129 OPS+ and 131 wRC+. In both 2012 and 2013, his numbers were actually even better than that overall average (146 OPS+/146 wRC+ and 145 OPS+/144wRC+). He's always struggled with health, but he was a bona fide slugger right up until last season.

Were he to return to the sort of form he showed from 2008-13, his performance would be remarkably similar to Nelson's 2014. A bit lighter on the power, a good bit more OBP. He's an extreme fly-ball hitter, which drives the BA down, but which would also translate very nicely to OPACY. In this ballpark, he's potentially a 30 HR bat with decent health. He also hits LHPs and RHPs equally well, so there would be no need to try to platoon him (as opposed to guys like Delmon or especially Gomes who are just average or worse hitters against RHPs).

The injury-plagued (and very poor) 2014 season is a huge red flag, but that could work in our advantage in making him attainable as something close to a salary dump. The acquisition of Kemp will also drive his trade value down, as they don't really have a spot for him in their OF and because one wonders how well those two could co-exist on the same team.

If the O's were to deal for him and take on that 2014 salary, they'd have to have some reassurances about his current health. But he's actually younger than all of Morse/Gomes/Cruz, and we did an excellent job of keeping Nelson healthy last season --- an even more extreme version of the DH-heavy assignment with only extremely rare appearances in the field might help to keep Quentin intact.

Given the upside (an unquestionably excellent stick to fill a major hole in the lineup) and the very limited commitment (in terms of years, money, and trade value), I think betting on the potential of a bounce-back season would be a fine gamble.

Agreed with all of this.

The positive part of the Orioles medical examinations is that if they acquire a player and are making any sort of significant commitment (in dollars and/or years), you can feel pretty comfortable that there aren't major medical red flags. That's why they do what they do in terms of the medicals. If the O's felt comfortable enough with Quentin's health to take on his $8M salary, then I would be more than comfortable betting on him having a bounce back season in 2015.

As already mentioned, DH'ing might lessen the impact on his knees and keep him on the field. Given San Diego's now crowded outfield, he might come pretty cheap in terms of what the O's would have to give up. He's definitely a good target.

Quentin has a no-trade contract. He's a Padre.... "This is an amazing opportunity to stay and play in the city I grew up in," said Quentin, who was raised in Chula Vista and attended the University of San Diego High. "I wanted to stay at home. And I let my agent know how I feel. I see what we are doing here as positive and I wanted to be a part of it."
http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2012/jul/22/padres-quentin-agree-extension/?#article-copy

Perhaps the situation has changed enough that he would want to be on the other coast to get regular playing time but that seems like a stretch.

What about our old pal? He's set to make 8 million next year. Sound familiar? We could decline his option for next year and not even have to pay the buyout due to a min. games clause. IF healthy this guy could be one heck of a RH DH for us. Career .347 OBP with Power. San Diego is still trying to make moves, (Justin Upton), so it could be a salary dump. They'd probably kick in some money. 1/6 for Quentin sounds a lot better than what Morse,Young,Gomes, want at this point.

What about our old pal? He's set to make 8 million next year. Sound familiar? We could decline his option for next year and not even have to pay the buyout due to a min. games clause. IF healthy this guy could be one heck of a RH DH for us. Career .347 OBP with Power. San Diego is still trying to make moves, (Justin Upton), so it could be a salary dump. They'd probably kick in some money. 1/6 for Quentin sounds a lot better than what Morse,Young,Gomes, want at this point.

There's already a Carlos Quentin thread.

Archived